My Mom used to make this for special occasions when I was growing up. It was a chile stuffed with a block of high fat cheese, dunked in whipped egg whites and deep fried. Served with refried beans, lettuce, doused with tomato sauce, and smothered in Parmesan and cheddar cheese. I think I gained weight just writing that.
This version, this tres easier and tres healthier version is courtesy of weightwatchers magazine! (Mar/Apr 2011 issue, pp 74) Serves 1 (you’ll need to multiply this for your family) for 5 PointsPlus values without the tomato sauce mentioned below the recipe.
- 1 can green chilies (whole, not chopped)
- 9 Tbsp shredded fat-free mozzarella (we used 7% fat which is “low fat” I think)
- 3 Tbsp cornmeal, stone ground
- 1 tsp oil
- Remove, pat dry the green chilies.
- Stuff (carefully) with 3 tbsp cheese each.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Dredge chilies in cornmeal and fry
- Fry 2 minutes each side.
Note: These were far yummier with an entire plate of iceberg lettuce, chilies on top, and drenched in ¼ cup of tomato sauce, sprinkled with oregano.