I love, love, love this dish! Unfortunately, my crew isn’t as adventurous as I. They were not sure about the raisins in with their meat, but you can’t knock it until you try it!
Recipe from Great American Recipes, altered to be gluten-free.
- 1 lb thinly sliced beef round steak
- 1 red pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 1 Tbsp margy
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup dry white wine, or beef broth
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- dash ground allspice, ground cloves, salt, pepper
- 2 Tbsp dark raisins
Thickener: 1 Tbsp cornstarch, 2 Tbsp cold water
- Cut meat into 1/2-inch strips across each of the steaks.
- Heat butter and oil in pan, brown beef strips.
- Add sliced onion and pepper.
- Add the remaining ingredients to pan. Bring to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, simmer 45 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Remove cover. Boil down 5 – 6 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch and water. Add to pan while stirring.
- Heat through until cornstarch is transparent.
- Serve with hot noodles